Thursday, July 2, 2009

The value of networking: a tribute to Craig Gamb

The past few days I've spoken with some amazing sales and tech people who have lost their jobs because of circumstances they couldn't control.

No matter who you are or how good you are, you need to be networking.

Make no mistake, networking is selling you. You're offering people your knowledge, your friendship, your humor, your dedication and more.

Let me give you an example. His name is Craig Gamb and he is quite simply the best data cabler there is. He knows his stuff and he has all of the certs. I've called upon Craig as he's worked for himself and while he's worked at two other organizations. Craig has consistently done the right thing with no shortcuts. His work always reflects positively on me.

Craig has moved up in the world. Now he sells for a data cabling company. I still use him because he ensures that the cablers do what they're supposed to do and do it right.

I also use Craig because he has invested in me and my work. Just today I had a referral that said Craig told them to call.

It's ironic that Craig doesn't blog. I doubt that he'll see what's been written here. You won't find him selling his work on Facebook and he doesn't tweet. But what Craig does have is a network of friends and work acquaintances that would go the extra mile if he needed it.

Are you good at something? Are you sharing your talents? There's no excuse not to. Reach out to those you can help, do the best you can at your work, be professional and you'll become a good networker!

No comments:

Post a Comment